Pages

Tuesday, January 20, 2009

Inauguration of President Obama...a new beginning

I was so incredibly moved by Obama's inauguration and speech. It was wonderful--for the past eight year's we have listened to divisive rhetoric. It has been disheartening to hear people talk about "rights" only to have it obvious that those same people are referring to rights of people that happen to agree with them. "When only some of us have rights, none of us have rights."

I was happy to see my children watch with understanding what this day means. That we can all work for the things that make us happy. I got a call from my dear friend Valerie shortly after the conclusion of the ceremony; it is so nice to be able to things with her. Her family struggled so much during the civil rights marches. It is interesting to discuss things with her. As happy I am that we, as a nation, are turning the pages in this war, this economy and in race relations-I can never be as happy as she is. I am so, so happy for her and our country.

My husband and I have discussed people who are not happy because of the ancient views that they hold, but I am thrilled in the belief that most of our nation has managed to move past that. As Obama stated today, we look forward with hope, not fear.

No comments: